Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Grandma

grandmaandali

Yesterday, in the early hours of the morning, my grandma took her last few breaths. I've talked openly on this blog about her fight against lung cancer, among many other health issues. I believe though, that the biggest weight on my grandmas heart was the loss of her beloved husband only a little over a year ago. I've heard time and time again how real the idea of a broken heart can be on a person. Normally I would be sitting at my computer crying uncontrollably. I am unusually at peace. My only explanation for this is the fact that I cant imagine the feeling in my grandmas heart when she was reunited with my grandpa. It gives me butterflies in my stomach.

Dont get me wrong, I wish my grandma was still here with us. I wish my grandpa was too. She spent her last few days at Hospice Care. I cant tell you that I have ever seen a more beautiful place for my grandma to be. The nicest nurses took care of her and her beautiful room suited our family perfectly.

My grandma had a CNA coming into her home a few times a week when she was still living on her own. That CNA was usually assigned to at home visits with other patients like my grandma. This past Saturday however, she received an email saying that they needed her help at the hospice center. She didn't know that she would be assigned to my grandma. Pure luck? I don't think so. Someone matched those two again and our family couldn't have been more touched to see her CNA talk to her like they were the best of friends.

The nurses and doctors at Hospice continued to remind us that hearing is the last sense to go. They encouraged us to talk to my grandma and reminisce about all the things we loved about her and tell her whatever we felt on our heart. We laughed and smiled knowing that grandma could hear everything we were saying. My mom and her siblings talked about all the garage parties my grandma and grandpa used to have. We talked about holidays and fond memories of time spent together, as a family.

Grandma continued to fight on. We are convinced she was happy listening to all of our fond memories.

She stopped breathing in her sleep with my aunt and mom sleeping on the couch in the same room. It was the way we wanted it. She didn't struggle. Instead, she drifted off and carried on her way to see her beloved husband.

We will miss you grandma.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...