Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Its the little things

I talked here about my grandmas diagnosis with cancer. She had been staying pretty healthy and still getting out quite a bit until two weeks ago when we noticed that she wasn't eating and she seemed pretty confused. She was also having a hard time walking just a few feet.

Red flag. Something was wrong.

They did some tests and found that she had a urinary tract infection. That explained a lot. (The confusion, the dizziness, and the weak limbs)

The docs prescribed her an anti biotic. But something still wasn't right. They did a few more tests and found that the UTI had turned into a much more serious internal infection. This explained why she wasn't getting better.



We also realized that until she was cleared of the infection she wasn't capable of taking care of herself and we wanted to make sure she didn't get off schedule with her other medications too.

Every once and a while we notice her saying something that doesn't sound quite right. The other day I was giving her pills to her and she said, "What about grandpa." I didn't think I heard her quite right so she repeated herself. "What about grandpa." ((He died almost a year ago)) I let her think about it for a few seconds and then she said, "Oh wait. I don't know what I am thinking."

We all take turns hanging out with her. And as the days passed she was doing better and better. Finally the anti biotic was doing its job. I knew she was feeling a little better when she asked me to style her hair. She doesn't let anyone touch her hair. Ever.

She looks scared, doesn't she?


She even told me I missed my calling. I should be going to school for hair styling.

They say its a good sign when the sense of humor comes back to a person.

So in the time being we cherish the little things. Looking out the windows at passing traffic, painting toenails, watching Lawrence Welk and infomercials,taking long naps in the afternoon and looking at the Hibiscus plant that seems to symbolize new beginnings. With each new day a new bud forms.





Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I pray for you and your grandma to feel peace at this time. My grandpa died of pancreatic cancer... it's such an ugly disease and a hard thing to go through. Hugs.

    Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you better. I'm excited to follow along!

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...