Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Day 9: Religion



About religion.
I talked here about politics. That was a little scary. Equally as scary is talking about religion. Is it ok if I throw a statement out there? ok here it goes. I feel like most bloggers are significantly religious. I know, I know its not true about all bloggers and I have found many that aren't.

My mom went to catholic school until high school. She was married in a Catholic church. Both my brother and I were baptized in the catholic church. We both also received first communion and confession in the catholic church. I guess you could consider us catholic. But I wouldn't say "satisfied" with our religion. My brother was invited by a friend to go on a mission trip with an ELCA Lutheran church. He agreed. We were so impressed by the youth group programs at this church. Not to mention the overwhelming acceptance change. Gay couples? In a church? You betcha. A woman pastor? How could this be? It was amazing. I felt so welcome and our family felt a sense of belonging. The politics behind the catholic church was one of our reasons we left the church. After being confirmed Lutheran and becoming a member of the church it felt right.

But I think the sense of belonging was the only thing that kept me in the church at all. It wasn't my devout belief in God. Im not really sure what I believe. I guess the only way to describe it is I believe that when I die. I die. Thats the end. I wont enter the pearly gates of heaven or the fiery pits of hell. That will be it. Im not really sure what will happen. I don't believe in giving the church money to "reserve" my spot in heaven. And if God is so redeeming, why is it wrong to be gay? Or have a woman pastor? Or be married and preach the word of God. There is just so much that doesn't make sense to me and probably never will. The funny thing is that my brother feels exactly the same way. And my mom is accepting of that. And its great.

Photobucket


I think religion is the wrong word for it. How about believing. What do you believe in?

I believe in inner beauty.
I believe in falling in love hard and fast.
I believe in the power of passion.
I believe that a good book can cure just about anything.
I believe that love comes from the strangest places sometimes. But thats usually when it feels right.

I suppose thats real enough for one morning. Thanks for sticking with me whether you agree or disagree. I will stick with you no matter what too.





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...